Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fabric looking for a pattern



Every now and then I get into a surface embellishment mode, which often expresses itself in dyeing, or in this case, discharge dyeing. For a while there I wanted to dye play with every piece of velvet I could find. Now this was not cotton or silk velvet but the 100%rayon velvet that comes in lots of colors. This particular piece, about 3 yards, was the classic dark Christmas green velvet. I twisted it, clamped it, and discharged the bejeepers out of it. What you see is the result and I love this fabric. I pull it out and stare at it when I need inspiration or just want to touch something lush. Playing with all the velvets taught me that I really really like washed velvets and I now machine wash any and all rayon velvets that make it into my lair. It gives them a lush hand that is similar to a silk velvet.

You never know quite what you will get when you discharge dye and this piece was no exception. The brilliant yellows really blew me away.

I have often wondered what to make with this piece. Nothing has clicked so far. Maybe I just don't want to give it up just yet. But I truly haven't found the right design. I have thought of one of those loose jackets with a long contrast neckline opening, but other than that, which doesn't excite me, I can't think of anything else. Any and all suggestions would be graciously entertained. I am petite so nothing too overwhelming. It would be great to have something out of this for the holidays. Oh, please don't say a skirt. I was one of the original hippies so that type of garment just is not something I want to do again. What would you make with 3 yards of hand dyed velvet? Or is this piece just for staring at?

************************************************************************************
The cashmere jacket is fitted and all cut out now. I ordered my acro and other supplies from Vogue and am waiting for that to come in. The jacket will be interlined with flannel so I need to get that before I proceed. I am giving serious thought to mounting my interfacings on the flannel and then underlining. I think this will give a smoother look to the shell with no ridge show thru from the interfacing. We'll see. I have usually done my coats with traditional tailoring methods but thought I might try this technique which I have read about in more than one place. Till the mailman arrives........Bunny

4 comments:

  1. That IS gorgeous fabric and I too was thinking jacket.
    I have a beautiful piece of velvet with flowers and gold design that I bought for a jacket two years ago. I really need to get off my butt and stop playing around with patchwork and make it before the snow starts flying and it's not warm enough to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a throw for the bed? And maybe a cushion as well? You could cuddle up to it as often as you pleased! Not a garment I know, but you could enjoy it more often:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Discharging velvet is a lot of fun - you never know what you'll get. I got the most incredible golds and oranges from a black velvet one time. I'd made a jacket like this ones from BWOF: http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Magazines/Archives/119_A_Jacket_120_A_Pants_trousers_technical_drawing/1270777-1463237-1654561-1654565-1654716-1654718.html The pattern is actually for knits, but with the shape, you could probably get away with the velvet. Trimmed in satin it would be marvelous for the holidays. I have that issue, so if you want me to trace the pattern and copy the instructions for you, I'd be more than happy to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green part prevents this from being a throw in our bedroom or guest room. For some reason I can't get the link to work, Summerset. You are so gracious to offer. Is there a link on your blog that shows the jacket? I certainly don't want you to go thru the effort until I see it. Thank you so much.
    I have been drawn to using some sort of textural contrast, maybe charmeuse if it's the right color. I really do need to start getting BWOF. What I have seen lately of their designs are awesome and I would love to dip my toes in the pool. Thanks so much for the responses.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...