Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Oopsie Shirt

I thought  McCalls 6076 would get the designation of "The Eyelet Shirt" but after today I will call it the "Oopsie Shirt. "

Halfway through my construction, after being basted for fit, undone and redone for actual construction, topstitching, grading, etc. I realized there is a pattern to the eyelet. Of course there is a pattern to the eyelet! Duh!!! Why did this never occur to me initially?  I just went full speed ahead into the project and never noticed anything as trivial (hah!) as a pattern repeat. Since you know I don't do wadders, I just kept on going and chalked it up to not enough caffeine.

Truthfully, I can wear this out to work and shopping and no one I know will ever know the difference. But will I wear it to my Claire Shaeffer couture sewing retreat? Probably not, that is unless I can bring an accessory. That would be my scarlet red face and the logo "Embarrassed". ;)  I just really wish I had picked up on the pattern repeat and can't stop swatting myself over it. Lesson learned!

One of the issues with this fabric was the obvious seam allowances as you can see above. There were so many options including lining, serging, and others. I decided not to line the blouse as it really is quite solid when on. but those big SAs had to go.


I ended up topstitching them an eighth of an inch from the well of the seam on both sides. Then I trimmed the SA as far back as possible. I think it looks quite good and is quite sturdy as well. 

At this point the collar and front facings are in and all that's left are sleeves and buttons. Buttonholes? Those are a guaranteed nightmare with the lumpy stitching on this fabric. I may do a faux buttonhole and button and a snap closure underneath. There are definitely some trial samples to be done!
***********************************
I learned the neatest trick. Thank you, Pinterest. Yesterday I did a huge purge of my closet and much is going to charity tomorrow. One of the issues I have/had is all my ITY tops. They were folded on the top of the closet shelf but are so slippery that it soon became a hot mess of knit disorder. I definitely didn't want to hang them and get bubbles in my shoulders from that. Then on Pinterest I saw this idea and it is working out really well. So simple! It is a great way to store knits. Here's the link. 


Happy Sewing!...Bunny




16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the sweater folding. That will come in VERY handy as time goes by!
    Your blouse looks lovely, and probably no one but another sewer will ever notice! But you're right. I wouldn't wear it to a Claire Schaeffer couture sewing retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain just saw this as an allover pattern from the first fold and never saw the bigger picture. Live and learn!

      Delete
  2. Oye! I had an "oopsie" recently as well - blogged about Vogue 8873. Ahh well, we are not quite perfect yet. Love the hanger trick - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will continue folding and pacing on shelves, as I don't care for the center fold at the neckline....but, that is really a creative idea, and a great one for inadequate shelf or drawer storage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so loving your fabric that I would never notice the "oopsie" but yes, I too would be self-conscious at a Claire S. seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Bunny,
    Enjoying a lazy day as the Birthday Girl, so enjoying catching up on your wonderful blog.
    I was thrilled to see that the technique I have been using to ensure neat SA's on some fabrics, is the same as you have done on this blouse.............it makes me feel that I have made the right choice, as it is a technique you use..............my sewing Heroine!

    I do so hope that you will blog about your experiences with Claire. Enjoy and travel safely please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have no fear, I certainly will. I leave on May 11th.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't have noticed unless you mentioned it, but I know what its like to notice something and then try to live with it lol. So you are off on a CS course - how exciting have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I wouldn't have thought about the fabric having a definite repeat like a print either. Glad you still have a wearable garment though. I'll store that info for later use thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually so fussy about such things, too, priding myself on my matching skills. But how do you match when you don't even look for any sort of repeat? Moving on!

      Delete
  8. Don't beat yourself up. Even with that little mistake no one will ever see, it is hands down better than most RTW on the racks. I know you are excited about your upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If possible I would remake the blouse with the repeat going the right way. Your story assures us all that we can forgive ourselves for our sewing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have enough fabric to remake the shirt but thanks for you suggestion, Ruth. To paraphrase Emeril Lagasse when he makes a mistake in the kitchen, "we really sew here".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Live and learn! Your post will certainly make me look for repeats more carefully. Have fun at the CS class, I will try for January.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughters hate it when I take them shopping. I refuse to buy things that are not perfect...and as a result they often come home empty handed. The millions of non-sewers on the planet will not notice.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...