Sewing Vloggers

Friday, February 10, 2012

Office Chair Slipcover

My valance project is waiting for a measurement from DD and until I get it I can't continue. So while that project is in a holding pattern I decided to get going on the office chair. I made the welting this morning and have the back front and seat complete at this point. I can't  do the back of the back (!) until I have the seat and ruffle complete and I'm not there yet.This has been a journey, I tell ya'. Once the front was all welted and sewn to the band it was time to connect the back, or so I thought. My plan for the back totally fell apart as my brilliant idea would not make a smooth transition to the sides/front of the chair. Back to square one for the back. I decided it would be wiser to get the seat completed and then fit in the back last. Hope I'm right, but who knows?
This matelasse is like sewing iron curtains. I wanted a gathered skirt utilizing the scallop of the bedspread. Are you kidding? There is no way this stuff gathers. So I am putting in box pleats which by the time they are stitched in look like soft gathers. I really like that look. I should have jjjuuuusssttt enough scallop border to go around. We are close to the end and I should finish this weekend. Then maybe, just maybe, I might get to sewing some clothing for myself. Many things have been on the back burner for my own wardrobe since last fall and I am itching to get started on some. I also need to get a handwork project going as well, not sure what yet.

And as happens whenever anyone sews an all white project, the never fail needle prick spits blood here and there, always before you feel anything. I am hoping the spit treatment will work.

We are rounding the bend with this decorating project in the studio.  Tomorrow DH and I are hitting Lowes for some crown molding shelving for over the cutting table. Hopefully that will be up soon. I'll post a grand tour when all is done....Bunny

11 comments:

  1. Put some hydrogen peroxide over the spots. I obtained a spray bottle of HP from CVS (or such) and keep it in my sewing area for this type of accident. A doctor told me about this trick to eliminate blood stains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the peroxide works well.. the sooner the better. I can't wait to see your finished chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the peroxide works well.. the sooner the better. I can't wait to see your finished chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always leave my DNA on everything I sew just so future generations can figure out who made it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going to be a really nice looking slip cover, bloods stains notwithstanding. The saliva does work, but I will have to try the peroxide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow... loving the piping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fab Bunny, I love the piping and I think it looks like the same fabric as your ironing board cover - and can I just see a monogrammed embroidery in the centre of the chair?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really neat looking cording, Bunny! I never get tired of telling you how much you amaze me, in what you're not afraid to tackle. BRAVO for even attempting such a project.
    I concur on the hydrogen peroxide ...I've used it many times, it works great & will not damage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished chair

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...