Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Upcoming Projects


In my last post I mentioned 3 upcoming projects. Two were for my grandaughters and inspired by Gail Doane's work combining smocked dresses and little embellished jackets.

Here you see the fabric combo for Carly's ensemble. I foresee a smocked black and white toile bishop with plaid binding and piping. The jacket will be red cashmere, also bound with the plaid, and definitely embellished in some sort of way, not sure yet how. This cashmere is so soft and light and yummy, a perfect weight for a little two year old. Her platinum blond looks will play wonderfully with this fabric color combo. The toile is a Waverly decorator weight, but once washed it will soften up nicely. I have used this before in other colorways, (See Sophie's Toile Dress.) I know it will work out fine. The plaid is a homespun 100% cotton. I am really excited about this project. It has the things I love to work on. First, I have always been mad about toiles. Secondly, black and red are one of my favorite combos. Third, I love the juxtaposition of the homespun, cashmere, and home dec fabric. So, this one really has my juices going.

Here you see the black oxford cloth for a blouse for myself. I haven't honed in on the pattern yet, but haven't really had the time to dig thru the pattern stash lately. I am looking for a basic blouse, raised waistline, long or 3/4 sleeves, and opportunity for embellishment. I really think I will get a lot of wear from this one. I love my black jeans as much as Lindsay loves her white ones! You say this fabric isn't black? Oxford clothes are made with white wefts so if a black is the warp, it reads as grey. Did I get my wefts and warps mixed up? Wouldn't be surprised. I have done it before.

Sherrill asked about cast on flowers. In my comments I responded that they remind me of knitting on your sewing needle. You can see what I mean in this photo from InAMinuteAgo, one of my favorite embroideryblogs. If you are interested in embroidery, particularly the contemporary expression of this art, you will love this blog.


Learning how to do cast on flowers and roses have been on my goal list for some time now. They are up there with bullions, which while I may not be a master, I can apply to my heirloom sewing fairly competently. I would like to learn and get to the same place with the cast ons. Once I start I will definitely keep you posted of my efforts. The smocking I envision for Carly's toile dress would have cast ons on the dress, I think. I am still working out that design. I just realized as I wrote this, that I am working on a design requiring something I don't know how yet to do. Certainly has not been the first time for that!

DH and I are straight out until after the 12th, but once I turn that corner, I should have my sheer blouse done and be working on one of my new projects.......Bunny

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this. Of course I LOVE Gail's stuff. Have a couple of UFO's of hers to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never remember either, so I was curious enough to go to Wikkipedia to look it up. The warp is what the weft is woven across. In other words, the warp is what's threaded tightly on the loom and the weft is woven through. So I believe that the white threads would be the warp generally and the weft would be black. Weft is from the old English, meaning to weave through.
    Phyllis posted to my blog that when she sews for children she uses luxury materials, like using cashmere and other fine fabrics. After all, how much do you need for a child's jacket or coat? Obviously you adhere to the same principles. This looks to be a gorgeous outfit. I do hope that these fabulous creations are packed away after they are outgrown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I remember weft is rhyme: "weft is left", threds woven from left to right.

    Those fabrics are lovely together. They will make a beautiful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Weft is Left". I love that! Thanks, Gwen.

    I very often use luxury fabrics for my children's clothing. Why not? The type of clothing I make is not usually your crawl in the playground attire, but something that is meant to be passed down, or at least admired long after Grandma has stopped sewing. I took a pledge a few years ago to just cut into my precious fabrics. There would be no quibbling about it. You can wait forever for the perfect pattern when the opportunity is really right there right now. My motto, "Just Cut It".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunny, thanks for the nice comment! I wish you luck with the three upcomming projects, will come and see :)

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...